Sth Indian drumming

vidya at cco.caltech.edu vidya at cco.caltech.edu
Thu Oct 5 17:57:16 UTC 1995

To begin with, the practice of having music concerts is itself
a fairly recent phenomenon, about 100 - 150 years old. As far as
I am aware of, there were no separate tAla vAdya kacceris till the
later 60's - early 70's. I haven't heard of the stalwart Palghat
Mani Iyer performing any tAla vAdya kacceris in the modern format.
He did play once with the tabla maestro Tirakhwa, if I remember
right.

Thus, I would think that it is indeed a recent phenomenon to have
tAla vAdya ensembles performing concerts, roughly 25-30 years old.

S. Vidyasankar