new translations

Gary M Tartakov tart at iastate.edu
Wed Nov 29 21:22:00 UTC 1995

I am interested in Satyanad Kichenassamy's sugestion about scientific
translations:

"I think most of us would agree that there is such a thing as a
`scientific translation.' It is one which aims at conveying the intent
of
the author as far as it has been reconstructed, AND NOTHING ELSE."

This is a useful goal in a translation, but certainly one with very
limited
possibility of success.  To render any ideas in language one must assume
the cultural world to which it refers.  Even in philosophy this leaves a

great deal implicit and so susceptable to interpolations that different
translators will treat differently.

Like objectivity in any descriptive discussion, scientific translation
has
definite usefulness as an ideal, but I don't think we should confuse
selves by expecting that we can easily achieve such translation outside
the world of mathematics.

Gary Tartakov