Temporary resignation

ARUN.VOHRA at hq.doe.gov ARUN.VOHRA at hq.doe.gov
Wed Nov 22 17:39:00 UTC 1995

I am leaving for India tomorrow and will be back on December 25.  I am
temporarily resigning from indology.

Date: 22 Nov 1995 19:55:00 +0100
From: Peter at pwyz.RHEIN.DE (Peter Wyzlic)
Subject: Re: Sanskrit grammars

Hello Indology subscribers, hello Leonard,

You wrote about "Sanskrit grammars":

> Reading through biographies of two Tibetans who had studied in Bihar and
> Nepal in the 1180s and 1190s, I came across titles of two Sanskrit
> grammars which, despite looking into the standard reference works,
> Scharfe, Cardona etc., I am not able to identify. The titles of the texts in
> question are given in the following Tibetan transcription (sans
> diacritics): Rajashri and Vyakaranalamkara. Is there anyone out there who
> could help me out in their identification? An anticipatory many thanks.
>
> Leonard W.J. van der Kuijp

Have a look into Pieter C. Verhagen: A history of Sanskrit grammatical
literature in Tibet. Vol. 1. Leiden 1994, p. 202.

Verhagen points to Bu ston who mentioned Rajasri as an author of a
grammatical treatise. Verhagen guesses that he - scil. Rajasri - may be
identical with the author of the Manjusrivyakarana, a grammatical work to
be found in the Tanjur (op.cit., p. 199 seq.).

He does not mention a Vyakaranalamkara in his index, neither did Aufrecht
in his Catalogus Catalogorum (the New Catalogus Catalogorum has reached
"P" so far I know).

A voluminous compendium on the history of vyakaranasastra is Yudhisthir
Mimamsak's Vyakaran sastra ka itihas (or is it Samskrt vyakaran sastra ka
itihas ? -- I have it not at hand). Besides fanciful datings for the older
grammarians this work contains useful data for the later ones. Perhaps
this may of some help for you. But I fear a comprehensive history of the
later non-Paninian grammarians has still to be written.

\bye
Peter Wyzlic