Atheism in Hinduism: help needed

n.rao at rz.uni-sb.de n.rao at rz.uni-sb.de
Tue Nov 21 20:34:02 UTC 1995

>I am trying to find references dealing with the subject of atheism in
>Hinduism. Its historical background, dialectics, the present place of the
>atheist in Hindu religion compared to some other major religions, and all
>that.
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>-Partha Banerjee
>
>Dept. of Biology
>University at Albany
>Albany, New York

If you are looking for what are considered as 'atheistic' currents in the
Indian textual tradition the books by Debiprasad Chattopadhyay are the place
to look, especially,
 Lokayata, A Study in Ancient Indian Materialism, Delhi 1959

Also
 D.M Reip, the Naturalistic Tradition in Indian Thought
contains some discussion of the same variety as found in DC's books.

However, it is very unclear what you are looking for. 'Hinduism' as a
religion is a very recent phenomenon - more a  product of European research
on Indian traditions and practices rather than a religion in the sense in
which Christianity or Islam can claim to be religions.  Moreover, by
definition, someone who is an atheist falls outside the pale of religion. If
you consider Hinduism as religion, then there can't be a place for atheism
within that fold.

If you are looking for how 'Hinduism' (used as a wholesale word to subsume
the whole of non- islamic textual tradition of South Asia) treated
'atheism', the above books contain useful discussion from a kind of  Marxist
standpoint.
Dr. B. Narahari Rao
F.R. 5.1. Philosophie
Unversitaet des Saarlandes,