'Midnight's Children' problems.

Gene Thursby gthursby at religion.ufl.edu
Sun Nov 19 20:54:20 UTC 1995

Surely a South Asian childhood was a necessary but not sufficient
condition for the creation of Midnight's Children and Rushdie's more
recent work.  And he himself has commented on it, more than once.  See,
for example, his writings gathered under the title Imaginary Homelands
(Granta/Viking, 1991).  The title essay concerns itself with this
question.  Moreover, Rushdie develops his thoughts about
emigrant/immigrant writing in a world in which so many people are in
transit -- rather than firmly rooted in their birthplace.  The
increasingly common experience is that of living as a displaced or
multilocal person.  Cinematic montage is not a required resource for this
experience, but is relevant to it.

Gene R. Thursby
University of Florida