New issue of E. Journal of Vedic Studies

witzel at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU witzel at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Nov 15 02:36:57 UTC 1995

ELECTRONIC JOURNAL OF VEDIC STUDIES

Editor-in-chief    Michael Witzel     (Harvard University)

Managing Editor    Enrica Garzilli    (Harvard University)

Editorial Board    Madhav Deshpande   (University of Michigan, Ann
                                                                  Arbor)
                   Harry Falk         (Freie Universitaet Berlin)

                   Yasuke Ikari       (Kyoto University)

                   Boris Oguibenine   (University of Strasbourg)

                   Asko Parpola       (University of Helsinki)

Technical Advisor  Ludo Magnoicavallo (Politecnico di Milano)

  The editors take pleasure in announcing the following.

  After a fairly long Summer break, the journal is picking up speed again
  with several issues coming out now.

  The first one (EJVS 1-3) is by P. Koskikallio (Finland), on the enigmatic
  figure of Baka Daalbhya. It comes in three sections, as EJVS 1-3 a, b, c.
  The web version of the paper will be out soon.

  The next one in line is M. Witzel's short version (c. 30 pp.) of a long
  paper of pp. 160 on the origin of the Kuru state in early Vedic India.
  This version will contain the gist of the argument.

  Also soon to come is a paper by our co-editor Y. Ikari (Kyoto) on the rare
  school (zaakhaa) of the Vaadhuulas, a subschool of the Taittiriiyas of
  the Back Yajurveda. They survive, with a few clans only, in the state of
  Kerala. The paper will deal with his research among the Vaadhuulas and
  Also soon to come is a paper by our co-editor Y. Ikari (Kyoto) on the rare
  school (zaakhaa) of the Vaadhuulas, a subschool of the Taittiriiyas of
  the Back Yajurveda. They survive, with a few clans only, in the state of
  Kerala. The paper will deal with his research among the Vaadhuulas and
  his ongoing work on editing their texts.

  Individual issues can be requested from M. Witzel.
  Subscription (free) and all mail should be addressed to:
      ejvs-list at shore.net, or to: witzel at husc3.harvard.edu
      or to the individual editors

      http://www.shore.net/~india/ejvs
      http://www.arcadiax1.arcadia.polimi.it/~ejvs

  SUMMARY of EJVS Vol. 1, issue 3
  -------------------------------

  P. KOSKIKALLIO

  Baka Daalbhya:
  a complex character in Vedic ritual texts, epics and PuraaNas

   This is the first part of a survey of the characters called Daalbhya
  concentrating on the portrayals of Baka Daalbhya and Kezin Daalbhya
  in Vedic sources. In addition, I shall take up some less known Vedic
  figures with the same patronymic. Especially the connections of
  Daalbhyas with Saamavedic practices and early ritualist groups, like
  vraatyas and sattrins, comes into the foreground here. My purpose is
  to follow up this paper later on with a second part that deals with
  the sage Baka Daalbhya in epic and PuraaNic literature. The second part
  will also discuss various post-Vedic heron (baka) figures and the asuras
  called Baka and Kezin. I would be grateful for any comments on the
  present version.