announcement of new journal

tony_stewart at ncsu.edu tony_stewart at ncsu.edu
Fri Nov 10 13:29:43 UTC 1995

I would like to alert you to a new journal that is being published in Dhaka
that looks to me to be pretty serious and worth collecting.  The journal is
_cArukalA_; all the articles are in Bengali, and the subject is art
history, with special emphasis on 20th century South Asia, especially
Bengal.  Bangladesh has a thriving art community and this journal
represents many of the very best scholars and artists.  The format is
definitely scholarly.  Subscription rates are Bangladeshi taka 30 per issue
(about a dollar).  It is quarterly and average length of issue is about 90
pages (8vo). Illustrations are black and white, but plans are for color
(covers, however, are 4 color).

The first issues (vol. 1, no. 1) is dated February 1994.  I have seen four
issues so far.  The editor of the journal is an important art historian,
Abdul Motin Sarkar, CWNB 12, Street 15, Gulshan, Dhaka 1212.  He can also
be reached through the Institute of Fine Arts, Dhaka University, Dhaka
1000.

I would very much appreciate it if you would circulate this to the
appropriate listserv and net groups.