Dravidians of Bharat vs Branch Dravidians

rwl at uts.cc.utexas.edu rwl at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Sat May 27 00:05:37 UTC 1995

No, Purushottam, I think the name comes from the practice of some older
elements in Texas society of a ritual activity involving drinking bourbon
and *branch* water (cf. the career of Sam Rayburn).  I'm pretty sure there
is no connection between that and any Hebrew traditions.  What I would like
to know relates to the place names--is there any connection between Waco
and the common English slang term "whacko".  I know that Baylor University
is located there, but that may bring us back to "oxymoron."  What do you
think?