A New "Grundriss" (Buehler)

WITZEL at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU WITZEL at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU
Tue May 16 04:03:25 UTC 1995

On Mon, 15 May 1995, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

> I have in the past positively begged members to
> circulate information about their publications, giving bibliographical
> details and a brief synopsis...

In the spirit of Dominik's  statement yesterday, the following
preliminary announcement, copied from EJVS, (EJVS-list at husc.harvard.edu)
is made of:

A NEW VERSION OF BUEHLER'S "GRUNDRISS":

                  INDIAN PHILOLOGY AND SOUTH ASIAN STUDIES

The German publisher de Gruyter (Berlin/New York) is ready to release the
first volume of a new, greatly enlarged and much more comprehensive
version of Buehler's famous Grundriss published around the turn of the
century (Grundriss der Indo-Arischen Philologie und Alterthumskunde/
Encyclopedia of Indo-Aryan Research).

The new series, to be announced in more detail later on, is edited by
Albrecht Wezler (Hamburg University) and Michael Witzel (Harvard
University).

The first volume is an update on the interface of archaeology,
linguistics, philology and history of early South Asia (ed. G. Erdosy,
Toronto conference of 1992).

Other volumes in line include: Epic grammar by Th. Oberlies,  A Handbook
of Pali Literature by O. von Hinueber (with an appendix by H.O. Pint on
Grammatical Literature),  and a Vedic history.

The first volume has the following contents:

                   THE INDO-ARYANS OF ANCIENT SOUTH ASIA

                   LANGUAGE, MATERIAL CULTURE AND ETHNICITY

                            George Erdosy, ed.

CONTENTS

                            I. Theoretical perspectives

G. Erdosy,   Language, material culture and ethnicity:
      theoretical perspectives.

K.A.R. Kennedy,   Have Aryans been identified in the
      prehistoric skeletal record from South Asia?
      Biological anthropology and concepts of ancient races.

M. M. Deshpande,   Vedic Aryans, non-Vedic Aryans and non-
      Aryans: judging the linguistic evidence of the Veda.

M. Witzel,   Early Indian history: linguistic and textual
      parameters.

J.G. Shaffer and D.A. Lichtenstein: The concepts of
      "cultural tradition" and "palaeoethnicity" in South
      Asian Archaeology.

P.O. Skjaervo,   The Avesta as source for the early history
      of the Iranians

                              II. Historical perspectives

F.T. Hiebert,   South Asia from a Central Asian perspective
      (3500-1750 B.C.)

W.A. Fairservis,   Central Asia and the Rigveda - the
      archaeological evidence

J. M. Kenoyer,   Interaction systems, specialized crafts and
      culture change: the Indus Valley Tradition and the
      Indo-Gangetic Tradition in South Asia

F. C. Southworth,   Reconstructing social context from
      language: Indo-Aryan and Dravidian prehistory

K. R. Norman,    Dialect variation in Old and Middle Indo-
      Aryan

R. Salomon,   On drawing socio-linguistic distinctions in Old
      Indo-Aryan: the question of Kshatriya Sanskrit and
      related problems

M. Witzel,    Rigvedic history: poets, chieftains and
      polities

A. Parpola,  The problem of the Aryans and the Soma: the
      archaeological evidence

H. Nyberg,   The problems of the Aryans and the Soma: the
      botanical evidence

(end)