Scanrom fonts

Sid Harth BAKULA at delphi.com
Thu May 4 00:58:34 UTC 1995

On  3-MAY-1995 19:16:04.1 dnn4745 said to BAKULA
   > Sid:
   > I appreciate all your comments on the fonts from Scanrom. My disk just
   > arrived today after a several week wait. I actually cancelled yesterday
   > because of the unfavorable reviews. I really want the various true type
   > fonts for the languages advertised, although the price is such that if
   > several fonts worked well, I would be happy and would then supplement
   >with probably from Ecological Linguistics. Thus the question:
   > do the fonts work or not? SHould I return the package unopened. Does
   > Devanagari work well with all the maatras or are there oddities, e.g.
   >the long ii is squeeze next to ch but ok next to a smaller width
   >character?
   > Also, the diacritics for the Roman script. Is there a dead key for
   >adding diacritics to letters?
   > How easy is it to install? I simply want to select the font and go.
   >Do I have to mess around with assigning keys?
   > Your information will be greatly appreciated. I don't have the time
   >to do anything but install the fonts and if they aren't what they are
   >advertised to be, than I will look elsewhere.
   > Thanks
   > David Nelson
   > David Nelson                                           phone:
   >409-845-1342 Head, Cataloging
   >FAX:  409-862-1166 Evans Library
   >email: davidnelson at tamu.edu
   > Texas A&M University
   > College Station, TX  77843-5000

     Thank you David, for your kind enquiry. Please do not open the package.
The common answer to all your questions is a big "NO". For the uninitiated
in the legal aspect of product warranty, Scanrom warranty is foolproof. I
take liberty to quote part of it here:

     THE SOFTWARE AND RELATED DOCUMENTS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS". SCANROM
PUBLICATIONS DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO IMPLIED WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE AND THE
ACCOMPANYING WRITTEN MATERIALS. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND
PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAMS IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE,
YOU (AND NOT THE SCANROM PUBLICATIONS OR AUTHORIZED COMPUTER DEALER) ASSUME
THE ENTIRE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICE, REPAIR, OR CORRECTIONS. THIS
LIMITED WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHERS, WHICH
VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.

     Note: Above is a verbatim copy, including the choice of capital
letters. As the warranties go this is no more scary than any others. I,
however, point to the owner's risk "ALL".

     Once again, in the interest of the members of this group who suffered
my off colored postings, laughed at my contrived humor, I would not make you
cry because of this offer. Trust me, this product should have been beta
tested before full fledged launch. It may, subsequently, prove to be a star
but I categorize it as "Not yet ready for prime-time appearance".

Sid Harth  "By the way, who is this dude Hermann Hesse?"