Quotes from Padma PuraaNa

P.Magnone at agora.stm.it P.Magnone at agora.stm.it
Tue Mar 28 13:09:14 UTC 1995

The Padma PuraaNa is indeed extant in two recensions, Bengali (in 5
khaNDas) and Western (in 6 khaNDas). To my knowledge, all published
versions are based on the Western recension, although the Bengali
recension looks like the more original one.

As for the UttarakhaNDa, the Bengali recension is considerably shorter
and generally different than the Western recension, the latter bearing
the marks of numerous especially VaiSNava additions.

 Paolo Magnone
 Catholic University of Milan
 p.magnone at agora.stm.it

> > I am looking for the verse and chapter numbers of three verses
> > apparently from the Padma Purana:
> >
> >         1)smartavya.h satata.m vi.s.nu.h ...........
> >
> >         2)na pati.m kaamayet ka.mcid ..........
> >
> >         3)ittha.m manoratha.m baalaa ...........
> >
> > All three are quoted by Ruupa Gosvaami in his Bhaktirasaam.rtasindhu
> > The last two (1.4.7 and 1.3.14 in B.R.S.)  deal with a girl called
> > Candrakanti.
>
> Paolo Magnone said,
>
> >1) Padma PuraaNa, UttarakhaNDa 71,100 (VeGkaTezvara):
>
>  >  smarttavyaH satataM ViSNur vismartavyo na jaatu cit //
>  >  sarve vidhiniSedhaaH syur etasyaiva vidhiMkaraaH //
>
> >2) and 3) do not appear in the zlokaanukramaNii.
>

> What to make of this?  I have heard that there is a separate
> recension of the P.P. in Bengal.  Should I assume that
> Ruupa is simply using a different MSS. line?  If the other
> reading is more popular, why?  Is Ruupa's version a
> special Vai.s.nava tradition?
>
> P.S. even the first verse (smartavya.h....) is different in the
> Bhakti-rasaam.rta-sindhu. The last pada reads "syur etayor
> eva ki.mkaraa.h"
>
> Adrian Burton, ANU.

..