VOI message

Daud R. Ali daudali at uclink3.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 28 03:39:10 UTC 1995

It seems that Indology is not so a-political after all.  Of the various
internet
venues, indology has been singled out by Voice of India as "cacaphony"
free for the dissemination of such a book.
I believe that VOI should understand that just because we study
pre-modern India does not mean that we should be receptive to what I think
can hardly be considered an a-political message.  Of course I am
assuming, perahps naively, that everyone would agree on this point.

I suggest that we, if there is some consensus, should respond to Voice
of India that this venue is not for politics.  If we fail to do so,
then, well, we must admit that a very hot political topic has been
dropped in our midst, and then, I'm afraid, we will be forced to talk
about it.  Communalism and the writing on pre-modern India might actually
be a very interesting topic.  If we don't want to take it up, and stick
to our stated "apolitical agenda," then, I think a response to VOI is
in order.
daud ali