n^aaval or jambuu

Narayan S. Raja raja at galileo.IFA.Hawaii.Edu
Mon Mar 20 20:22:17 UTC 1995

On Sun, 19 Mar 1995, Ganesan wrote:

>                  Jambu (Sanskrit) or N^aaval (Tamil)
>                  -----------------------------------
>
> 'tiru AnaikkA', a suburb of Trichy is called JambukEsvaram.

> been lost. But this was found in a traditional pulavar family
> about 50 years ago and printed recently. See tA. vE. vIrAcAmi (editor
> from palm-leaf), tantivanap purANam, International Institute of
> Tamil Studies, Adayar, Madras, 1981. Note that danti vanam is "Forest
> of Elephants" (Anaik kA in Tamil). The author is kamalai jnAnap pirakAcar

Ganesan,

Thank you for one more excellent article.
A question:  I am from Trichy, and actually,
that suburb of Trichy is called "ThiruvAnaikkAval"
("Elephant Guard"), not "ThiruvAnaikkA" or
"ThiruvAnaikkAdu" ("Elephant Forest").  Do
you know the reason for this discrepancy?

Best regards,

Narayan Sriranga Raja.