construction with abhi

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Mar 2 15:10:04 UTC 1995

	The commentaries on Panini 1.4.90-91 cite as an example the
construction "vRkzam vRkzam abhi sincati" meaning "he waters every tree"
or "he waters all trees".  In Vedic literature one frequently comes
across the use of abhi with a single accusative, and independenly, the
use of doubling to indicate the sense of "each, every, all".  However, I
have not yet seen an abhi construction with a double accusative outside
of the commentaries on Panini.  I have searched for attestation
everywhere, but have not located a real language example.  Such examples
with prati are fairly common.  If anyone has come across an example of
abhi, I would like to know the reference.
	Madhav Deshpande