COMMERCIAL EDS. + CRIT. EDS

aklujkar at unixg.ubc.ca aklujkar at unixg.ubc.ca
Thu Jun 29 21:47:07 UTC 1995

In more than one communication on the subject specified above I have seen,
explicitly or implicitly, an assumption to the effect that a reading
supported by the greatest number of manuscripts carries weight. A more
precise and defensible way is to hold that a reading supported by ("good
mansuscripts in) the greatest number of versions or recensions carries
weight.

Once this is realised, the severity of even the problems encountered in the
case of fluid texts (such as the Mahaabhaarata, the Puraanas and the
compositions of Sants) diminishes considerably. The versions or recensions
are usually representative of a good geographical spread. As in the case of
languages, forms/readings attested in the widest geographical spread are
usually older forms/readings.

Dr.Lorenzen's contribution indicates that in the case of some texts it may
be rewarding to prepare different critical editions for the different
periods (and perhaps even for the different regions) of the prevalence of a
text. However, we would not be able to determine whether this is warranted
or how exactly we should  use the editions coming out of such efforts for
larger historicalreconstruction if the costant aim is not to recover the
oldest accessible form.

Ashok Aklujkar