COMMERCIAL EDITIONS ...

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jun 29 09:27:49 UTC 1995

R. Gruenendahl says:

> > What methods should be used for editing Sanskrit texts?
>
> My undogmatic answer to this: I think, the "classical" method provides
> a very good orientation, but it should be adapted to the particular
> circumstances, i.e. to the manuscript material one has to deal with
> in every individual edition project.

Yes.  This is very much the issue addressed by Martin L. West in his
excellent little book "Textual Criticism and Editorial Technique"
(Stuttgart: Teubner, 1973), explicitly written to replace Maas's
"Textkritik" in order to take account of contamination and other
factors that make Maas's "pure" system inapplicable in so many
real-world cases.  I always tell my students to read West before doing
anything with Sanskrit manuscripts.

Dominik