COMMERCIAL EDS & CRITICAL EDS

Daud R. Ali daudali at uclink3.berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 28 03:21:24 UTC 1995

Producing critical editions is indeed an important task, and many
historical and Indological scholarship has unquestionably rested on the
foundation of critically edited texts.

But Mr. Lopez is correct in observing that the production of critical
editions is not a highly favored project in the american academy today.
This is only in part, I think, due to the 'religious studies" nature of
the job market.   If my eyes have not deceived me, once source of the
reticence in allied fields concerning the agendas of classical philology
is, I think,  a now widely established critique of the epistemological
foundations of philology, its notions of textuality and language.  For
this reason a whole host of types of textual study are no longer accepted
as importnat ideological work.  I remember as an undergraduate coming
across a concordance of Ulysses by James Joyce that was published from a
dissertation.  Such a task I think would be unthinkable now in English
lit, not simply because any computer program could make short work of
such a task, but because concerns over the "text as such" is no longer a
critical language in literature depts.  I do not mean to compare
establishing a critical edition in a precise manner with "new criticism"
as it is called in English lit, but I do believe that there have been
shifts in the concerns about texts as a whole which make many departments
(especially those concerned with issues that are not precisely
philological-- religion, history, south asian studies, etc.) reticent on
this issue. To make this sort of scholarship relevant, will require, it
seems to me facing up to these well known developments in textual and
linguistic theory.

Daud Ali