Pointers to Katapayadi formula needed

Richard Salomon rsalomon at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 27 16:21:32 UTC 1995

On the Katapayadi system, including its use to express pi (referred to by
another respondent), see J.F. Fleet's article "The Katapayadi System of
Expressing Numbers" in JRAS 1911, pp.788-794.

The system is also used to express chronograms in some South Indian
inscriptions: for examples, see Epigraphia Indica 3, p.38, ll.40-41; 4,
pp.203-4; 34, pp.205-6.

-Richard Salomon
Univ. of Washington