Pointers to Katapayadi formula needed

krisna at cs.wisc.edu krisna at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 27 04:22:34 UTC 1995

Anand Venkt Raman writes:
:
: [ questions about the katapayadi sankhya deleted ]
:

I too have a question regarding the sankhya.  I have come across
a sloka which encodes the digits of the the decimal expansion of
pi (correct to about 20+ decimal places) based on the katapayadi
sankhya.

I would like to know the source of the sloka.  Those readers with
Web access can check out:

    http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~krisna/pi.html

[The reason I am giving a Web address is that the page has the
sloka in devanagari---which might avoid some of the problems in
transliteration]

For those without Web access, the sloka approximately
transliterates as:

    gopi bhaagya madhu vrata, srngisho dadhisandhiga |
    khalajivita khatava, galahata rasandhara ||

I appreciate a pointer to the source or any other relevant
information.  Thank you.

--Krishna