COMMERCIAL EDS.+CRIT.EDS

H. Isaacson ISAACSON at let.rug.nl
Mon Jun 26 13:33:44 UTC 1995

Dr. Gruenendahl has---very rightly in my opinion---pointed out that
`giving a stemma' is at best a dubious criterium for what constitutes
a `critical edition.' With regard to the problem of contamination,
a phenomenon rendering the reconstruction of manuscript relationships
(and hence the construction of a stemma) a difficult or
impossible task, one might refer to S.A. Srinivasan's dissertation:
    Vaacaspatimi"sras Tattvakaumudii. Ein Beitrag zur Textkritik bei
    kontaminierter Ueberlieferung.  Hamburg 1967. Alt- und
    Neu-Indische Studien 12.

It should perhaps also be remarked that coincidental convergence can
give rise to similar problems as contamination/conflation; it is my
belief that this phenomenon too is of regular occurrence in the
transmission of many Indian texts. Its importance has been recognized
by some scholars working with European medieval texts---I may refer
in the first place to Kane and Donaldson's introduction to their
edition of the B-text of Piers Plowman (London 1975), a piece of work
which has, as I understand, been of almost revolutionary importance
for editors of medieval texts (though not all, of course, are
convinced by the proposals of Kane and Donaldson).

One more point: Witzel suggests (and others have I think expressed the
same opinion in print) that non-critical `type 3/4' editions should
be treated as MSS. It should however be remembered that there is at
least this difference: the `printer's devil' may cause errors in
editions which are virtually random, or at least much more nearly
random than scribal errors in MSS are. Scribal errors in MSS are
seldom completely valueless; they may reveal (or confirm) something
about the nature of an ancestor and its palaeography, or they may
suggest an emendation to the editor, on the basis of his knowledge of
common confusions between ak.saras. Printing mistakes are sometimes
equally based on confusion between similar ak.saras, but we all must
have encountered many printing mistakes of a kind which are very
unlikely to occur in manuscripts.

Much more could doubtless be said; perhaps some of the more
experienced editors subscribed to this list could let us know what
opinions they have formed in the course of their work.

Harunaga Isaacson
isaacson at let.rug.nl