Sememe: ayana; sun and pr...

Kalyans at aol.com Kalyans at aol.com
Thu Jun 8 04:36:51 UTC 1995

I seem to have angered Dr. Dominik Wujastyk thanks to my fallibilities as a
self-styled etymologist! I apologize for any overtones in my etymological
posting caused by any use of inappropriate methodologies or sentences.

I certainly do not lay claim to perfect knowledge on the methodologies
relevant to date words or even sentences (cf. Bhartrhari's dictum on
purveying meaning thru sentences).

The problem of dating south asian etyma becomes problematical when we deal
with the Harappan civilization (this nomenclature is neutral, I hope!) when a
vast historical gap exists between circa 1700 B.C. to the first recorded
historical phonologies in, say, Asokan epigraphs of circa 300 BC? (or Vedic
texts?)

Is it impossible to reconstruct etyma relating to a distant date? Is it
inappropriate to read pictographs using homonyms? All epigraphists have done
this for ALL DECIPHERED ANCIENT SCRIPTS OF INITIALLY UNKNOWN LANGUAGES.

My queries on ayana and ain may sound absurd; but, let me simplify and
restate my inquiries:

what is the etymology for ayana = solstice (Sanskrit)?

what is the etymology for hainu = crop (Kannada)? Is this linked to Tamil
Ayam = income?

Again, l plead for the indulgence of indology members since these queries are
sincerely posed with the ONLY desire to promote the progress of ancient
language studies.

Re: Dominik's references to Burrow, Emeneau, Mayrhoffer: let me add Turner,
Campbell, Wilson, Hoffman. My comparative dictionary of 2500 pages (to be
published on CD-ROM by a New York publisher) proposes that MOST
Burrow/Emeneau etyma are concordant with Munda and Indo-Aryan etyma. This is
a lot of evidence in 8000+ sematic clusters and hundreds of pages of
epigraphical evidences, which scholars can feel free to evaluate and refute.

Dr. S. Kalyanaraman