Sememe: ayana; sun and property

Aditya, The Hindu Skeptic a018967t at bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us
Thu Jun 8 02:54:40 UTC 1995

On Thu, 8 Jun 1995, Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:
> Dominik seems to have used "ignorant outsider" to refer to himself, rather
> than Kalyanaraman.
This has been drawn to my attention from some one else too. I am sorry
that I misunderstood him but due to his sentence construction it could be
construed in either way and as a result I did over-react. When I read
outsider, I assumed an outsider to this list or the discipline of
indology, since I am also an outsider in that sense by not being a
professional indologist or a tenured professor.

> I also think it is neither polite nor reasonable to ask Westerners for their
> motives in studying things Indian. What are my motives for studying
> chem engg in a Western university, inspite of my own Indian heritage? People
> have their own reasons for what they do in life, and it is somewhat unfair
> to view today's researchers as being similar to the missionaries of a century
> ago.
It surely is reasonable in the same sense that Kalyanramans was accused
of being a hindutva motivated scholar as you mention in the rest of your
note.
Anyway, I have not yet read Kalyanraman's note and would appreciate to
see it if some one has saved it and would forward it to me.