New Message.

pclaus at s1.csuhayward.edu pclaus at s1.csuhayward.edu
Sat Jun 3 14:36:07 UTC 1995

Date: June 3, 1995

Indology List
indology at Liverpool.ac.uk

Dear Members,

For a paper I am writing I would like to know where I could find
a good discussion of descent (clans, lineage, kula, wamsa, etc.)
from the sun and the moon in ancient (vedic, kavya, puranic,
sastric, sangam) Indian literature.  I'm sure there is a vast
amount to be found in various primary sources, but what I would
like for the present, at least, is secondary sources with good
discussion and references.  Can anyone help?

The paper, for those who may be interested, will be on a South
Indian community called Gollas ("cowherders") and representations
of dual oppositions.  Hopefully, it will be presented at the 1995
Madison South Asia Conference, but I would be happy to mail (by
post because it contains photos and diagrams) to those who would
like to have a copy.

Peter J. Claus
fax: 510-727-2276
Phone: 510-704-9636