Sorting Devanagari text

Nobumi Iyanaga GGA03414 at niftyserve.or.jp
Thu Jul 27 13:41:00 UTC 1995

I am moderating a little electronic discussion group dealing with the
issues related to the use of computer in the oriental studies in
general (this discussion group has just been created this month in a
Japanese commercial BBS named "NiftyServe").  There, I talked about
this thread yesterday -- and a friend of mine replied today saying
that a free application which makes an index of the words of sanskrit
texts exists in Japan.  According to his posting, this application
makes a sorted index of words, and supports several transliteration
systems, among which that of the Kyoto University and Harvard
University (KH system).  An example of the result:
            [a]
a(2) [3] 11 21
akAGkSaM(1) [3] 17
akSa(1) [3] 22
akSa..pAda.upadiSTam(1) [3] 22
agni(1) [2] 21
agni..hotraM(1) [2] 21
aGga(2) [3] 10 [4] 5*

Numeral in parenthesis = frequency
numeral in square brackets = page
other numeral = line

This application was created for a particular type of personal
computers popular in Japan (NEC 9800 series), but must work also in
DOS machines in general (but the author, Mr. Mitsuyuki Shimizu, is not
 sure on this point, according to my friend).

I myself am a Mac user and have never used this application (moreover,
 I have no special knowledge on the computer science...).  But anyway,
 I am going to write to our discussion group to say that this kind of
software is needed by the international community of indologists (and
buddhologists, etc.) and should be made available from anywhere in the
 world (currently, this application is available only in one Japanese
commercial BBS named "PC-VAN").

Best wishes.
Nobumi Iyanaga
Tokyo,
Japan
(GGA03414 at niftyserve.or.jp / n-iyanag at cc.win.or.jp)

P.S.  I visited the new INDOLOGY Web page and I find it really
excellent.  Thank you very much!