e-mail in India

Gary M Tartakov tart at iastate.edu
Wed Jul 12 15:12:17 UTC 1995

 I seek the counsel of colleagues on
the following matter.
I have elementary competence in negotiating e-mail correspondence: the
Indology group and several dozen individuals in USA & Europe. I use it
daily. I have no familiarity with World Wide Web or the Internet.  This
fall I will be faculty advisor to the New York State Consortium program
that takes c. 20 students to India for the semester.  Our major loca-
tions are Mussoorie (5 weeks), Jaipur (8 weeks), Delhi (2 weeks).  I
will have with me a Toshiba laptop with modem and FAX capability.  How
might I get plugged into e-mail from the Indian side?  Many thanks for
whatever advice you can share.
Tom Coburn, St. Lawrence University

I think replies to this would interest many of us, so I suggest they
be carried on the net rather than transmitted personally.