Critical editions

kalyans at ix.netcom.com kalyans at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 7 15:51:31 UTC 1995

You wrote:

>For the record, (not that it matters to anyone) I
think critical editions >of Brahmanas are essential,
even if they turn to agree substanially with
>the 19th century editions.
>
>Nath Rao (natharao+ at osu.edu)		614-366-9341

Let me cite from the introduction of Arthur Berriedale
Keith to his 1909 edition of aitareya AraNyaka:

"When, in June 1905, I commenced preparations for the
production of an edition of aitareya AraNyaka, I was
mainly influenced by the expectatio, raised in part by
the reference in Prof. Buhler's Report (J. Bombay
branch RAS, 1877, Extra No. p. 34) on his Kashmir
journey to differences in the text of rAjendralAla
mitra's edition. rAjendralAla used only two complete
MSS. of the text, and three of sAyaNa's commentary,
besides three other MSS. of parts of the text or
commentary, and it seemed reasonable to suppose that
the employment of additional MS. material would add to
the correctness of the text. This expectation has not
been justified. The use of additional MSS. enables me
to correct a good many slips and one or two serious
omissions in rAjendralAla's text, but it establishes
the fact that the tradition as to the text seems
unbroken. Variant readings occur here and there, but
none of sufficient importance to justify the idea that
any different recensions of the text ever existed, and
it is hardly ever possible to feel serious doubt as to
the correct reading..."

Now, my inquiry is this:

Is it not equally critical to analyze (or, perhaps,
unravel) the rationale for the 'secrecy' that
permeates the 'allegorical' texts of the brAhmaNas and
AraNyakas?

S. Kalyanaraman.