Indology FAQ

Dominik Wujastyk dom at uclblr.iisc.ernet.in
Fri Jan 20 23:30:52 UTC 1995

"FAQ" is network jargon for "Frequently Asked Questions", and refers to
summaries of questions and answers that are sometimes put together for
network groups to deal with the questions that come up for everybody at
the beginning of the subject, or when they first join the group.

It was recently suggested by Adrian Burton that an INDOLOGY FAQ, posted
once a month, could help to cut down on some of the repetitive
administrative traffic that gets posted to INDOLOGY by having such
details as how to unsubscribe (send "unsub indology" to
"listserv at liverpool.ac.uk"), the aims of INDOLOGY, that the aryans came
from outside india, how to get INDOLOGY sent in digest format, and
whatnot.

I earlier said I wasn't much in favour of this.  Chris Wooff, our list
owner, thinks the same (see below).  My idea about using mail headers to
carry a short message also seems unworkable.

I think Chris's hands-on, ad hoc, contingent, event-driven, asynchronous
approach is just what we all need more of.  (Someone take away that
man's thesaurus.)