Environmental Concern in South Asia

Axel Michaels michaels at relwi.unibe.ch
Tue Jan 17 14:47:33 UTC 1995

On Tues, 17 Jan 95 03:24:07,
indology at liverpool.ac.uk  <indology at liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:

>Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 02:20:58 GMT
>Sender: indology-request at liverpool.ac.uk
>From: Lance Nelson <lnelson at pwa.acusd.edu>
>To: Members of the list <indology at liverpool.ac.uk>
>Subject: Environmental Concern in South Asia
>

>I've been asked to edit a book on environmental concern in South Asian
>religious for a good academic publishing house.  We are
>trying to include a variety of perspectives (Hindu, Jain, Buddhist,
>Muslim, etc.) and approaches (textual, anthropological, etc.).  I'm
>particularly interested in the question of how religion influences
>attitudes towards nature, animals, and so on.
>
>If anyone's doing work in this area, including either classical or
>contemporary South Asia, and would like to submit a short proposal
>I'd be delighted to hear from you.  I'm particularly looking for
>material on Vaisnava Vedanta and Tantra, i.e., what attitudes might
>emerge from these traditions regarding nature, etc.  Also Jainism and
>Buddhism in South Asia.
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Lance Nelson
>---------------------------
>Lance Nelson
>Religious Studies
>University of San Diego
>lnelson at pwa.acusd.edu

Dear Mr. Nelson,
I would propose to contact the members of the Indological Dept. of the
University of Hamburg (Schmithausen, Wezler, Srinivasan et al.) who have
specialized on environmental topics during the past years.
You could contact them through quessel at orientalistik.uni-hamburg.de who
works in the same department and would certainly forward your messages.
Sincerely, yours Axel Michaels

Axel Michaels

Please note my new Adress: michaels at relwi.unibe.ch