SOCIOLINGUISTIC QUESTIONS

Dominik Wujastyk dom at uclblr.iisc.ernet.in
Mon Jan 16 09:10:46 UTC 1995

Mehta, Shailendra said:
> 3. Hindi has been well served by popular and inexpensive editions of classical
> texts  brought out by several organizations. The presses of Chaukhamba, Arya
> Samaj, Gita Press, Gayatri Parivar etc.. come to mind.

Yes.  In several cases this is at the expense of the Sanskrit
commentaries.  I often find it hard these days to buy copies of medical
texts with two or three Skt. commentaries, i.e., the sort of editions
that NSP and Anandasrama were famous for.  Today, you get one Skt.
commentary if you are lucky, and then a very verbose Hindi translation
and commentary.  Quite annoying for the historian, but of course
perfectly understandable in terms of publishers serving market demand.

Dominik