Culture and Accounting

Shalin SHALIN at commerce.otago.ac.nz
Wed Jan 11 19:24:55 UTC 1995

Pursuing a PhD in Accounting at the U of Otago, New Zealand, I am
trying to link Culture with Accounting.

Using Hofstede type of argument, I am trying to hypothesise
relationship between culture of a country and the disclosure in annual
reports.  I am comparing India with New Zealand.

For instance, since India is high on the Power Distance and
Masculinity scale, one could expect to find importance attached to
disclosure regarding names and positions of the CEO of a company.
And since NZ is more Individualistic and Feminine, one would expect to
find less attachment to the above and more to items regarding
environment, health benefit and care to employees.

I also plan to compare and contrast the Common Law, Company Law and
Tax Laws in both the countries to find such differences.

The situation is complicated by the fact that the Accounting now
practiced in India is a copy of the British system.  Thus differences,
if any, will be found at the margins.  Also, the differences may be
more in the importance attached to say questionnaire items in a survey
of Accountants (and other users and preparers) than in published
reports which are subject to Law, which again, is copied from the
West.

I would appreciate references of a general, readable description of
the above in the Indian end.  Dumont's Homo Heirarchius has not
been of great help.  The idea is to identify general differences at
first and then examine them in greater detail.

Also, is there an Indian way of Accounting / doing business?  What
should one read to find out more?  I appreciate your comments,
thoughts and ideas on the above.

Shalin                                  shalin at commerce.otago.ac.nz