pra mit ? - an inquiry

s. kalyanaraman s._kalyanaraman at mail.asiandevbank.org
Thu Feb 23 08:16:39 UTC 1995

     Bhartrhari's theories of meaning are linguistic-philosophy par
     excellence (there are excellent works in English by Prof.
     K.Subramanian of Lucknow?). Indology members may also be aware of
     Prof. Kunjunni Raja's (now with Adyar Library, Madras) work on Indian
     Theories of Meaning. I agree with Dr. Dominik entirely. Lexemes are
     but a starter, if we put together sentences, we will end up writing
     thick monographs for each lexeme! I suppose lexical entries are like
     an executive summary of 'meanings' which of course, takes to tango:
     the 'talker' and the 'listener'. Teachers argue for hours explaining
     nuances of meanings. When roots grow into mammoth trees, it is
     certainly easy to miss the wood for the trees. Dr. S. Kalyanaraman.