translating sanskrit, ibm to mac

J.K. Brzezinski brzezins at epas.utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 21 20:07:15 UTC 1995

In answer to your letter.  I have been working on MLS4 for some time and
it is equipped by a program called CTIU which can be used for translating
documents much in the same way that you described.  ASCII tables of all
langauge programmes used in MLS are available in the manual.

I tried at one time to create an English to Sanskrit/Hindi conversion
programme which is theoretically possible.  As far as I can see this may
be limited to only PC compatible programmes. Some problems arise because
of half characters and matras as you point out.  Most of this is not a
great problem because they are written as overstrikes.  It simply means
that you have to write each individual syllable as single character
consisting of possibly more than one ASCII character.

Excuse my somewhat convoluted explanation but I hope that it is of some
help.  If you have any further questions do not hesitate.

                          Jan Brzezinski, PhD
		  Centre for the Study of Religion
		        University of Toronto