"kaumudii"

Richard Salomon rsalomon at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 21 19:40:23 UTC 1995

While we're on kumuda/kaumudii, etc., I wonder if anyone can help with
the following problem, which has me and some of my colleagues stumped:

Verse 11.35 of the Hammira-mahaakaavya of Nayacandrasuuri contains the
following description of the lakes as part of a kulaka describing the
city of Ra.nastambhapura (Ranthambhor; here referred to by yat-):

anaarata.m kaumudam aadadhaanaa.h sa.msevyamaanaa dvijaraajibhis' ca /
mi.s.tai.h payobhi.h pratibhaasamaanaa vibhaanti yaagaa iva
							yat-ta.daagaa.h //

The problem is what exactly is the sense, or rather senses, of kaumuda-
here.  Presumably it is meant to have a double sense, like dvija-
'birds/brahmans' and payas- 'water/milk', referring to both the lakes
(ta.daaga-) and
to sacrifices (yaaga-) to which they are being punningly compared.  The
primary sense of kaumuda- is obviously 'water lily'; but what does it mean with
reference to something characteristic of a sacrifice?

Any thoughts?

Rich Salomon
University of Washington