Etymology of the word - kundanam ?

s. kalyanaraman s._kalyanaraman at mail.asiandevbank.org
Wed Feb 15 15:01:03 UTC 1995

     Mr. Suresh; let me attempt to provide a few semantic/phonemic leads..
     kundanamu is a very specific goldsmithy, technical term which means
     'setting precious stones with fine gold (Telugu); kuntanam =
     interspace for setting gems in a jewel (Tamil). The associated
     'imagery' may be drawn from a concordant phoneme: kundene, kundi = rim
     of stone or other material placed upon a mortar to prevent spilling of
     rice, etc. (Telugu) The key semantic substructure seems to be related
     to 'keeping the contents in place, while beating'. The goldsmith
     performs a similar function when he uses kundanamu (fine gold in thin
     foils used for setting precious stones) or does a kundanamu (sets the
     jewel in place using the gold foil like a rim round a mortar). It is
     also relatable to two sets of etyma: (1) kund- (kunt-) to punch with
     fist, pierce with spear (Pengo); kund to pierce, prod (ManDa); (2)
     kuntu having sat down (Kannada); squatting (Tamil) [perhaps similar
     semantically to 'to set down or 'seat' (a precious stone) in a small
     hole {cf. kuttu = very small hole (Tulu)}']
     s._kalyanaraman at ctlmail.asiandevbank.org