saMsAra = Reincarnation?

Srinivas Sunder sunder at crystal.cirrus.com
Tue Feb 14 21:00:00 UTC 1995

>"saMsAra" as used in a Vedantic context is probably better understood as
>worldly life, not just the world. The material, external world is never
>called saMsAra, to the best of my knowledge.

This is correct, in a Vedantic sense. However, the word "sansaar" is used
in Hindi to refer to the material, external world.

And if I might add in a query of my own - is there a connection between the
term 'SaMsaara' used to denote worldly life and attachment in Vedanta, and
the term 'SaMsaaraM' as used in Tamil, where it means "wife" ? I presume
there is, but I'd like to find out for sure, anyway.

[This question is asked seriously and is not a (feeble) attempt to inject
 humour into this discussion.]

Srinivas