A. Villarroel's query

s. kalyanaraman s._kalyanaraman at mail.asiandevbank.org
Mon Feb 13 08:04:42 UTC 1995

     I read with interest George Cordona's comment re: the earliest
     Sanskrit term for canal/trench. I disagree with his suggestion that
     kulya is likely to be this term. My reasons, on grounds of semantic
     clustering (elucidated in my comparative, etymological dictionary of
     south asian languages) are as follows: Skt. kUla = pond, pool; Tamil
     kuLam = tank, reservoir, lake; glUnju = a small pool, puddle (Kui). I
     suggest that kulya in its early meaning is likely to connote a ditch
     or pond. What are the other possible ancient terms for canal/trench?
     Pkt. khalla, khAla = canal, creek, trench; Skt. khalla id.; kAl, kAlve
     = water-course, channel, brook (Kannada); kAva = gutter; kAl-vA =
     river mouth, irrigation channel (MalayALam); kAl, kAl-vAy = irrigation
     channel (Tamil); kaZHi = ebbing brook (MalayALam), backwater (Tamil);
     kaRna = canal (KonDa); karna = irrigation channel (Kuwi)
     s._kalyanaraman at ctlmail.asiandevbank.org 20/7 Warren Road, Mylapore,
     Madras 600004; Tel. 91-44-493-6288; Fax. 91-44-499-6380