I agree: moderation

Leslaw Borowski TANTRAPL at ramzes.umcs.lublin.pl
Sun Feb 12 18:22:11 UTC 1995

To Richard P. Hayes: Thank you for confirmation that acts (of a
a few persons) of preventing people from expressing their views in
public (I call it censorship) are included in the process of
moderating a list. Thanks for your work too.
To Sid Harth: Strong arguments are good
              if you don't much argue.
Who allots words? My letter was sent ca a month after the previous
one.
To all interested: I think we can make messages thiner by not citing
long passages from the previous post and by not giving lengthy
informations about ourselves and multi-line addresses at the beginning
or the end of a letter (I don't mean anybody specifically, sorry it
may looks like that).    Maybe we could agree on a special name (or
part of it) of the subject, say "organisational" = "org" for short,
that would let people who are not interested in matters of the way
the list functions to filter the messages.      I'm happy to hear
voices saying simply: "I agree.". They support my ideas (signalled in
my previous letter) about the need for voting on important matters. I
must stress once more that I think INDOLOGY is great, moderators are
working really hard (THANK YOU) but I think we should allow people to
say things we think are wrong or stupid.
I know I'm raising very general question and one pertaining rather to
the future of the network but from an "enlightened absolutism" to an
absolutism with a darker shade the way may not be very long. That's
why I think electronic communication should start forming democratic
structures.    Lesl~aw Borowski
PS I got a citation from a publication: "a cyberspace full of
gatekeepers and fiefdoms, where those who would disagree must learn
the oblique expression of the dissident under autocracy moderated
list". So the problems already exist somewhere.