An Indian-Muslim's Ethnie

Lance Nelson lnelson at pwa.acusd.edu
Mon Dec 11 15:40:05 UTC 1995

On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, Yvette C. Rosser wrote:

> Islamic leaders in
> India cling to their out-dated medieval Shari'a laws which are so
> conservative that they are no longer even used most Islamisized countries.
> If India is to move forward towards pluralism and freedom and justice for
> all (Amen) then the leaders of her largest minority need to be forward
> thinking and promote the fact that the form of Islam practiced in India is
> unique and therefore indigenous.

Is not the revival and implementation of Shari'a laws, and thus the
Islamicization of the state infofar as possible, a central concern of the
Islamic radicalism that has spread through the Muslim world of late?
If so, we can surely *not* expect India's Muslim leaders to be immune from
this trend of thought.  Have any studies been done of the influence of
Islamic radicalism in India?

Lance
Lance Nelson
Religious Studies