Muslims, was the "PC" Card

Frank Conlon conlon at u.washington.edu
Sat Dec 9 18:33:07 UTC 1995

With the deepest respect to the colleagues who have been trying to sort
out the "issues" on this thread, I am struck that no one has commented,
perhaps because of lack of experience, upon what it means to be a
Muslim in India.  Although most of my research has focussed upon topics
which might be related to what we now are all calling "Hinduism" (a very
artificial and misleading term that contains within it enormous
varieties of belief and objective condition), it has been my good fortune
to also know a fairly wide variety of Indians who are labelled Muslim
(yes, usually self-labelled, but objectively often more distinct from
other "Muslims" than from other "Hindus").

Many of these people have shared with me their experiences of personal
humiliation and discrimination at the hands of the "majority"--and at the
hands of the Congress-dominated "secular state".  And one or two have
read a bit about American history, and recognize that the ironic
similarities of the ideas about "mixed loyalties" and "breeding like
bunnies" applied to them when compared to the racist and nativist ideas
that some white protestant Americans have routinely applied to immigrants
from Ireland, from Southern and Eastern Europe, from Mexico, from the "third
world", and, of course to African-Americans.

Hate and fear and discrimination do not exist in abstract, reified
conditions--their reality can only be refracted in the thoughts and
actions of individual human beings.  It is unavoidable, and it is
necessary, that we discourse about "Hindus" and "Muslims" etc., but that
ought not be the only perspective we keep in our vision.

Frank F. Conlon
University of Washington
Department of History
Seattle WA 98195