Saindhavas.raavakas and Tantrayaanists

kellner at ue.ipc.hiroshima-u.ac.jp kellner at ue.ipc.hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Thu Aug 31 12:51:23 UTC 1995

Anantalal Thakur, in his preface to the Jn.aanas.riimitranibandhaavalii,
reports a "deadly quarrel" between the Saindhavas.raavakas and the
Tantrayaanists
in Bengal, some time (no dates given) around 1000/1100 A.D. He also reports
that "it is said" (by whom, he doesn't say) that Jn.aanas.riimitra himself
was first a Saindhavas.raavaka
and then became a Tantrayaanists.

All this strikes me as rather odd, in particular because I do not have the
slightest idea what these two expressions referred to (i.e. what the sects
or groups
denoted by these terms stood for, and what they might have quarreled about).

Any ideas or references would, as usual, be greatly appreciated.

Birgit Kellner
Institute for Indian Philosophy
University of Hiroshima