Is honey found in Arka trees?

kxp5195 at hertz.njit.edu kxp5195 at hertz.njit.edu
Tue Aug 29 04:26:19 UTC 1995

H. Isaacson writes:

> The following subhaa.sita is often quoted (eg. "Sabara's Bhaa.sya
> 1.2.4; Yuktidiipikaa ad Saankhyakaarikaa 2;
> Saardhatri"satikaalottaravrtti ad 8.12;
> Nyaayavaarttikataatparya.tiikaa ad Nyaayasuutra 1.2.1 etc.): arke
> cen madhu vindeta kimartham parvata.m vrajet| i.s.tasyaarthasya
> sampraaptau ko vidvaan yatnam aacaret||

[stuff deleted]

> Should one assume that arka is correct and that it refers to the
> tree (?Calotropis Gigantia (Linn) R.Br ex Ait.)?  Is honey never
> found in such trees?  Do they grow in the plains and not in mountain
> regions?  I think that there is an article about this, but I don't
> remember the details. I should be grateful, if someone could offer
> me some help.  Dominic Goodall.

I do not know the scientific name of this plant (arka) but it is found
quite commonly in south India. It has fleshy leaves, which when
plucked, cause a white milky liquid to flow from the stem. It is used
to worship Shiva and Ganapathi. BTW, Isn't it Ganesh Chaturthi today?
This plant's leaves are one of the twenty one varieties of leaves that
are liked by Ganesh. But I don't think honey is present in this
plant. It is not considered edible. It called JilleDu in Telugu. If
you want, I can try to find out the scientific name.

I remember the phrase `arka patram pujayAmi' in the Ekavimshati patra
puja which is offered to Ganapathi.  Also there is the following
shloka of Appyya DIkshitar (from his unmatta shatakam):

arka droNa prabh.rti kusumairarchanam te vidheyam
prApyantena smaraharaphalam mokshasAmrAjyalakshmIh |
etajjAnannapi shiva shiva vyarthayan kAlamAtman
AtmadrohIkaraNavivasho bhUyasAdhah patAmi ||