Nietzsche and Rig Veda

witzel at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU witzel at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU
Sun Aug 20 15:40:19 UTC 1995

Looking through my critical edition of Nietzsche
(ed. Giorgio Colli und Mazzino Montinari: Fr. Nietzsche, Kritische
Studienausgabe,vol. 3 Berlin ( DTV/de Gruyter) 1980, and vol. 14 p.
(commentary),
it appears that the motto

"Es  giebt so viele Morgenroethen, die noch nicht geleuchtet haben"
Rigveda

was a suggestion of N's friends Peter Gast of January/Febr. 1881 which he
added to his handwritten copy of N's "Morgenroethe" and which N. liked so
much that he changed the name of the volume from "the ploughhare" to
"dawn"/daybreak; he added the quote on the title page.

As for the exact Rgveda quotation -- that may take a little bit of time,
as there are hundreds of references which allude to this myth:

The dawn(s)  (USAS = Eos, Aurora, Ostera) will reappear every morning
as they have  done since the primordial "first dawn" was released by
INDRA,leader of the new powers that be, from its rocky cave (vala),- after its
location  at the end of the world, beyond the eastern ocean had been
spied out by Indra's bitch, SARAMA, "the jumper (across the ocean)" who
promptly reported the location of the cave, so that Indra could break open
the Vala and "liberate" the dawns (= cows/riches) from their erstwhile
owners, the PANI, who belong to the ancien regime of the earlier
generation of gods.

It is the hope of the Rgvedic poets that the reappearance of Usas  will
continue, especially at the time of winter solstice, and they ask Usas
to return, or they  frequently praise her beautiful reappearance comparing
her to a beautiful young woman.

Vedic poets also look forward to the future, to  future generations by whom
their words may still be heard -- as they  indeed are, to this very
day...  in the strict oral transmission in India.

For the myth you may compare, H.-P.Schmidt, Brhaspati und Indra,
Wiesbaden 1967 which deals with all relevant passages from the Rgveda.
For Usas see also Boris Oguibenine, Usas. Paris (c.1980).

Examples are: the Usas hymns of  Rgveda 4.51-52 or 7.75-81 --
see translation by Griffith (end of teh last century) or the more recent
one by K.F.Geldner, Der Rig-Veda, (Harvard Oriental Series vol. 33-36)
Cambridge MA 1951. - There  is no recent complete and up to date Engl.
translation.However, there is a partial French one by Louis Renou, Etudes
vediques et panineennes.(according to subjects, such as Indra, Usas hymns
--  not with me, at home, right now) (published in the sixties, reprinted
recently, 18 vol.s)

If I will find the exact quotation -- it sound a bit untypical- I will
let you know.

M.W.

            durjanasya ca sarpasya varam sarpo na durjanah |

            sarpo dazati kaalena durjanas tu pade-pade    ||

Michael Witzel                               Department of Sanskrit
Wales Professor of Sanskrit                  and Indian Studies
Chair, Committee on South Asian Studies      53 Church Street
Harvard University                           Cambridge MA 02138, USA

phones: - 1- 617 - 495 3295 (messages)       Electronic Journal of
                   496 8570                  Vedic Studies
fax:               4968571                   EJVS-list at arcadiax1.arcadia.
email:  witzel at husc3.harvard.edu             polimi.it (or on WWW: http://
                                             arcadiax1.arcadia.polimi.it:80/