Poverty

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 18 03:15:14 UTC 1995

I sense the (very enjoyable) thread of conversation is moving on from
the topic of why India is poor etc., and I don't want to hold it back,
but I feel that I must at least mention a factor that surprisingly
hasn't been brought up yet (unless I missed it): the scientific and
technological revolution in Europe spanning about 1550--1700.  There is
a vast literature about the reasons for this transformation of thought
and practice, why it took place when and where it did, and so forth.  I
personally like the "it just did" historical argument which was
mentioned earlier (great posting).  But whatever the reasons, the fact
remains that in a relatively short period of time, ideas and methods of
production developed in Europe which were to transform society, first
locally and later globally, and which led to the creation of previously
unheard-of wealth on a colossal scale.

Before the Scientific Revolution, daily life for many people in Europe
seems to have been strikingly similar to what we know about India at the
same time.  The gulf starts to grow as Europe begins to develop the
precursors to modern technological industrialization.  I am not a
technological determinist, but certainly this has to be a major
factor in the equation.

An under-discussed question in the history and philosophy of science,
in my view, is the issue of how non-European countries who are today
basing their economies, politics, and life-styles on the fruits of
these twin revolutions come to terms with the fact that the ideas their
industries and economies are using, and which are so obviously
successful in creating the desired "modern lifestyle", were in most
cases created abroad.  The most famous wrestler with this question is
perhaps Joseph Needham, who seems to have believed, unfortunately, that
absolutely everything was discovered first in China.

Dominik