Teaching Sanskrit (Rauravagaama)

nas_ng at lms420.jsc.nasa.gov nas_ng at lms420.jsc.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 17 13:26:00 UTC 1995

         civa~naanabOtam & rauravaagama
        *********************************

From: "Dominic Goodall" <ISAACSON at let.rug.nl> wrote:

>I am interested in Dr. Ganesan's statement that the Pau.skaraagama
>contains passages that are Sanskrit redactions of the
>civa~naanabotam.  I have heard it said that the latter work is a
>Tamil redaction of the Rauravaagama; but this is entirely new to me.

Dominic is right, civa~naanabOtam (tamil) and Rauravaagama (sanskrit)
contain similar passages. (not the pauskaraagama as mentioned in my posting.
I told that from memory, Sorry for the mistake.)

However, the debate about which one is the borrowing went on for decades
in Tamilnadu. There is a good book in tamil that gives 100+ reasons
showing civa~naanapOtam is the original and the rauravaagama portions
are borrowed ones.

m. baalasubramania mudaliyaar (1896 - 1958)
civ~naanapOtam mutal nUlE, mozipeyarppu alla.
1949: Saiva siddhanta Mahasamajam, Madras.

The author, m. baalasubramania mudaliyaar (1896 - 1958) had an
assumed name, mayilai kizAr. His scholarly editions of tEvAram are
wellknown. tEvAram (critical edition) from French Institute
of Indology, Pondichery heavily rely upon mayilai kizAr's editions.

n. ganesan
nas_ng at lms461.jsc.nasa.gov