Miscellaneous ??s

RAH hueckst at cc.UManitoba.CA
Wed Aug 9 22:27:52 UTC 1995

Fellow Indologists,
May I ask a few questions in the context of the little article I'm
writing on South Asian classics and the Modern Curriculum?

1. In what year was the Wales Chair established at Harvard?

2. In what language(s) was the _Culavamsa_ written?

3. For experts in Buddhist philosophy. At the risk of displaying my
ignorance worldwide, I quote below the paragraph I have written on
Buddhist philosophy. I would be very grateful for any constructive
criticism. Not being an expert myself in this area, I am afraid of making
invalid generalisations.

Here it is:

While Jainism basically rests on one philosophical school, Buddhism
encompasses four major, mutually differing schools and many minor ones. All
of them agree on atheism, that no God created the world. Most of them agree
there can be no such thing as an individual soul. On questions of ontology
and perception, however, the debate is fierce. While there is some agreement
on the episodic nature of perception and knowledge, there is no agreement on
the logical consequences of that position. The M�dhyamikas' conclusion is one
of radical non-existence. The Yog�c�ras' conclusion is one of complete
subjectivism -- there is only the subject, no object. The conclusion of the
Vaibh�.sikas is just the opposite -- direct realism, there is only the form
(\it{r�pa}), no subject. The Sautr�ntikas' conclusion is often called
indirect realism: there is something out there, but only phenomenally so. Of
course, the debates are more interesting than the conclusions.  %@@

Gratefully,
Bob Hueckstedt

Robert A. Hueckstedt, Associate Professor of Indic Languages
Asian Studies Centre, 328 Fletcher Argue, University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2 Canada email: hueckst at cc.umanitoba.ca
fax 1 204-275-5781 phones 1 204-474-8964, 1 204-488-4797