Aarya/Dasyu in a Buddhist text (fwd)

mhcrxlc at dir.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk mhcrxlc at dir.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk
Sat Aug 5 06:58:56 UTC 1995

Madhav Deshpande writes:

>        While reading the Skt text of Pozadhavastu (corr. Bhaishajyavastu)
>(Gilgit Manuscripts, Vol. III, Part I, p. 258), I came across an
>interesting passage.  Here,
>Buddha is deciding how he should preach to the four guardians of the
>directions (DhRtaraazTra, ViruuDHaka, etc.).  He says that two of them
>are 'aaryajaatiiya' and two are 'dasyujaatiiya'.  If he teaches in the
>'aarya vaak' then the Dasyus will not comprehend it, and if he teaches in
>the 'dasyuvaak' then the Aryas will not comprehend it.  Finally, he
>decides to preach each in his own type of language.  While the 'aarya
>vaak' is obviously Sanskrit, the little pieces of Dasyuvaak are some
>incomprehensible words.  Besides this, the Arya guardians are in the east
>and the south, while the Dasyu guardians are in the west and the north.
>        Has anyone written anything about this passage?  Are there
>similar or contrasting passages elsewhere in Buddhist literature?

I have a rough note which says that Lokesh Chandra gives references to th
Buddha preaching to Viruupaaksha in ? either the language of the borders or
in Dravi.da:
Ludwik Sternbach Felicitation Volume, Part One, p. 496 (Akhila Bharatiya
Sanskrit Parishad, Lucknow, 1979).

It is interesting to note that Viruupaaksha was an important deity in
Vijayanagara.

Lance Cousins

MANCHESTER, UK
Email: mhcrxlc at dir.mcc.ac.uk