Where is Mount Munjavant?

kalyans at ix.netcom.com kalyans at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 1 13:36:07 UTC 1995

Thanks a lot to Beatrice Reusch who provided the
following leads:

>From N.N. Bhattacharyya, "The Geographical Dictionary
-- Ancient and Early Medieval India" 1991, Munshiram:

>Mujavant, Mujavat
>A people that took their name from Mujavant, a
mountain in the Himalayas.
>They are mentioned along with the Mahavrsas,
Gandhaaris and Baalhikas in AV
>V.22.5-14. They are also mentioned in Taitt. Sam.
I.8.62; Kaathaka Sam.IX.7, XXXVI.14; Mait. Sam.
I.4.10.20; Vaaj. Sam. III.61; Sat. Br.
>II.6.2.17; Baudh. D.S. II.5

I found the following references in Macdonell and
Keith, Vedic Index, 1958, Motilal:

MUjavant is the name of a people who, along with the
mahAvRshas, the gandhAris, and the balhikas, are
mentioned in the Atharvaveda (v.22,5.7.9.14 cf.
baudhAyana Srauta sUtra, ii.5) as dwelling far away,
and to whom fever is to be banished. Similarly in the
yajurveda saMhitAs (TaittirIya S, i.8,6,2;Kathaka S,
ix.7; xxxvi.14; maitrAyaNI s, i.4,10.20; vAjasneyi s,
iii.61; Satapatha b, ii.6,2,17) the mUjavants are
chosen as a type of distant folk, beyond which rudra
with his bow is entreated to depart. In the Rgveda
(x.34,1) soma is described as maujavata, 'coming from
the mUjavants,' or, as yAska (Nirukta, ix.8) takes it,
'from mount mUjavant.' The Indian commentators
(mahIdhara on vAjasneyi s, loc.cit.; sAyaNa on RV.
i.161,8; baudhAyana Srauta sUtra and prayoga, cited by
Hillebrandt, vedische mythologie, 1,63) agree with
yAska in taking mUjavant as the name of a mountain,
and though Hillebrandt (op.cit., 1,65) is justified in
saying that the identification of mUjavant by Zimmer
(Altindisches leben, 29) with one of the lower hills
on the south-west of kashmIr lacks evidence, it is not
reasonable to deny that mUjavant was a hill from which
the people took their name. yAska (loc. cit. cf.
siddhAnta kaumudI on pANini, iv.4,110, where insead o
maujavata in RV x.34, maunjavata is read) suggests
that mUjavant is equivalent to munjavant, which
actually occurs later, in the epic (mahAbhArata,
x.785; xiv,180) as the name of a mountain in the
himAlaya.

In the Iranian tradition, haoma is reportedly obtained
from haraqaiti (which is cognate with sarasvati).

Would it be reasonable to search for names of
mountains proximate to the banks of the sarasvati
river, i.e. south of the sutlej, or not too far from
gandhAra?

If so, could it be a mountain in the khetri copper
belt in Rajasthan?

Regards, and thanks again to Beatrice,

Dr. S. Kalyanaraman
kalyans at ix.netcom.com