Help with citation

B. Hatcher bhatcher at titan.iwu.edu
Wed Apr 26 19:36:15 UTC 1995

Can anyone help me identify the source and context of the following
rather obscure references which I have found being debated by two pandits
in nineteenth-century Bengal?  The pandits are debating whether it is
acceptable to eat the plant, puizaak, or puutikaa.  One pandit cites the
words, puutikaa brahma ghaatikaa, in support of a total prohibition.  The
other counters with, dvaadazyaamadhikadoshaaya, to argue the
acceptability of eating it on certain days.

Does anyone recognize these references?  (Incidentally, the latter
position seems to have won the debate).

Thanks in advance.

Brian A. Hatcher
Illinois Wesleyan University