VOI message

purushottama bilimoria pbilmo at deakin.edu.au
Tue Apr 25 08:45:54 UTC 1995

I am no scholar of Julius Lipner's heights (recently appointed Director
of Hinduja Research Centre on Ancient India at Cambridge) but I could add
the following items, papers I have worked on on the Mimamsa doctrine of
apaurusheya (critically against Nyaya and Vedanta watering down of the genuinely 'authorless'
aspect. I find nothing incoherent, by the way, in this theory and it is
consistent with Mimamsa commitment to the autonomous efficacy of rituals
and mantras. (Diacritcs ellided).

- "On the Idea of Authorless Revelation (Apauruseya)"
In Roy W Perrett (ed.) INDIAN PHILOSOPHY OF RELIGION, Dordrecht: Kluwer
Academic Publishers, 1989, pp. 143-166.

- " Hindu Doubts about God - Toward a Mimamsa Deconstruction",
INTERNATIONAL PHILOSOPHICAL QUARTERLY December 1990, vol 30, no 4, pp
481-499.

- " Authorless Vocie, Tradition an Authority in the Mimamsa: Reflections
in Cross-cultural Hermeneutics",
NAGOYA STUDIES IN INDIAN CULTUR AND BUDDHISM- SAMBHASA, 18 (May 1995) pp
1-24;

- " Fusion of Disparate Horizons" (Introduction)
in, P. Bilimoria (ed.) J N MOHANTY ESSAYS IN INDIAN PHILOSOPHY, Oxford
University Press, Delhi, 1993/ 1995.
.[{THis is my critique of Prof Mohanty's position on Tradition.]

- See also Stephen Phillips Review of my SABDAPRAMANA: WORD & KNOWLEDGE
in PHILOSOPHY EAST & WEST, APril 1995 (Issue devoted to Asian and
Comparative Philosophy in Australia, which also carries an Introduction
by yours truly).

last but not least, my article written with Prof Bimal K Matilal,
"Pramana Epistemology - Some Recent Developments", in CONTEMPORARY
PHILSOPHY (Ed. Guttorm Floistad) vol & Asian Philosophy, Kluwer, 1993.

Hope this helps.

Purushottama Bilimoria