the "svetaa"svatara and the paa"supatas

goodall at vax.oxford.ac.uk goodall at vax.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 19:35:44 UTC 1995

Can anyone point me in the direction of anything written about the paa"supata
vocabulary that appears in the "Svetaa"svatara Upani.sad?

I am thinking of the frequent occurence of paa"sa s;
the statement that the sage "Svetaa"svatara was teaching atyaa"sramin s (6:21);
the identification of maayaa with prak.rti (4:10); the statement that \'Siva is
kaara.na (6:9); the occurence in the preceding verse of the expressions
kaarya and kara.na; and the use of jaala apparently as a synonym of maayaa.

Dominic Goodall.